Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Wilton Method of Cake Decorating Course 1 - 2nd Class

14th March 2010, 11:00 am 

Wilton Method Cake Decorating Course 1, 2nd Class

Class 1 Mission Status: ACCOMPLISHED

After slogging away for hours until midnight, I managed to frost an 8 inch chocolate cake, bought from a nearby bakery, with class buttercream icing that was prepared by myself. I followed my instuctor's advice but it really was easier said than done, I just could not get the smooth and flawless icing seen on cakes in professional cake shops. The crumbs kept getting in my way and at the end of the day, I had what seemed more like Oreo icing than vanilla. I was too tired to fix the problem, so I brought the cake to class anyway. Surprisingly, my instructor commented that it was ok, except that I should have let the icing crust first to hold the crumbs before I put another layer on top. This method is called crumb coat, don't know why I haven't thought about it.


The 2nd class was more exciting as for the first time we had the opportunity to hold the bags to decorate. We watched our instructor decorated and wrote effortlessly using the star tip and round tip before trying it ourselves on the practise board provided in the studdent kit.


Do not be mistaken, the cute little pink face in the photo below is a work of mine and not the instructor's. :P


After practicing over and over again on a piece of board, the most anticipated moment arrived. We got to to do real decoration on our cakes! Our assigment is to create a Over The Rainbow cake, so we started off by doing piping gel pattern transfer onto the cake.



Now, we would have to fill the rainbow with dainty colourful stars.


Time was ticking really fast especially when you were totally engrossed with something. We had to finish it quickly by 1.30 pm, but ouch! My hand hurt quite a bit after pressing and releasing the bag constantly. According to my instructor, this should not happen, so I was probably not using the right strength.

Ta-da! My 1st precious baby! All the hard work finally paid off... of course I knew that it was only the beginning. For a first-timer rushing frantically for time, I would say that this looks GORGEOUS & DELICIOUS!


Hehe... okok, it is not perfect, but hey, I never thought I would be able to do this, and this was definitely harder than I expected. I will give cake decorators more credit from now onwards haha...

Again, like the previous class, were were given another mission. This time we had to prepare 8 frosted cupcakes and bring 2 clown heads for our next class. Well... a cupcake is much smaller, I supposed this would literally be a piece of cake for me, no problemo... or maybe not?

No comments:

Post a Comment